Why Are Donor-Advised Funds So Popular?
A Giving Strategies post by Mindy Garvey
A Personal Approach to Giving
Donor-advised funds are the fastest-growing charitable giving vehicle in the United States because they are one of the easiest and most tax-advantageous ways to give to charity.
“Having a donor-advised fund at the Jewish Federation of Cincinnati is an easy and efficient way to make recommendations for contributions to Jewish organizations,” said Craig Coleman, who has had, with his wife, Fran, a donor-advised fund with the Federation for more than 15 years.
Donor-advised funds are a convenient, versatile tool that many individuals and organizations use to effectively plan and manage charitable giving.
Drive Change and Give the Way You Want
When you donate to your donor-advised fund, you’re making a tax-deductible donation to the organization sponsoring the fund, in this case, the Federation. However, because it is your charitable account, you advise on how and when to grant the money out to your favorite charities. Your donation to your donor-advised fund is invested, so it has the potential to grow, tax-free, while you’re deciding which charities to support. If you want the flexibility of supporting a broad range of charities from one centralized account, a donor-advised fund could be a solution for you.
How a Donor-Advised Fund Works:
- Donate cash or stocks and receive an immediate tax deduction and avoid capital gains taxes.
- You can support any IRS-qualified public charity (501c3) throughout the country. Any public charity in the United States can receive your grants.
- You have several options on how your donation is invested.
- Involve your children or grandchildren—and generations to come. A donor-advised fund can become a family affair involving multiple generations of advisors.
- Use your donor-advised fund to support your legacy planning: fund an endowment that changes lives at the places you have taken care of during your lifetime.
You can reach Mindy Garvey, Senior Development Officer, Donor-Advised Funds at the Jewish Federation, at 513-985-1534 or email@example.com. Click to learn more about Donor-Advised Funds or the community-wide Create Your Jewish Legacy initiative.
What’s the best way to give back? Our Giving Strategies Library offers smart, practical giving strategies show you how.
Thanks for caring about our community and what we do.
Stay connected: sign up for our newsletter here.